No aswer WAS: Droping a database even if someone is con nected - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Eric Audet
Subject No aswer WAS: Droping a database even if someone is con nected
Date
List pgsql-general

I guess I won't get any anwers for this. And after many searches, it seems not possible.

Maybe some can help me. I am in a situation where someone designed something, and now I was put in charge of making sure it is working.

1)       we have a database inside our firewall.

2)       Updates are done inside the firewall during the day

3)       At night, there is a job dumping the database and ftping the dump on an external server

4)       On the external server, I have a job droping the database, creating the database and restoring the database that was ftped.

There are so many places where this could fail: 1) while dumping, 2) while ftping, 3) cronjob synchronization on 2 different machines, 4) user connected to database so drop/create database don't work, etc

What we want is to replicate the inside the firewall database to outside the firewall database.

Or we could simplify this: we want to replicate a database into a different machine.

Any help?

Eric