UNICODE problem on 7.4 with COPY - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Toby Doig
Subject UNICODE problem on 7.4 with COPY
Date
Re: UNICODE problem on 7.4 with COPY  (Tino Wildenhain <tino@wildenhain.de>)
List pgsql-general
When I try to import data from a unicode file into PostgreSQL 7.4 under FreeBSD it appears to now understand the
Unicodefile format.

To demonstrate I export a set of Integers into a Unicode file from MSSQL 2000. I samba the file to a FreeBSD box and
tryto import from psql with COPY. It fails. Wordpad and Notepad both read the file ok, even after I bounce the file via
theFreeBSD box (to test samba didn't munge it).

FreeBSD 5.1-RELEASE #0
PGSql 7.4 (dl'd and compiled fri 28th Nov 2003)
Dual 800MHz P3's

I create a database with encoding = UNICODE.
I create a table

CREATE TABLE testunicode
(
  anum int4
) WITHOUT OIDS;

I then use psql to import the file, which is a single column of integers.

copy testunicode from '/home/toby/itxt/anum.txt';
ERROR:  invalid input syntax for integer: "ÿþ1"
CONTEXT:  COPY testunicode, line 1, column anum: "ÿþ1"

When viewing the file as hex I see:
FF FE 31 00 31 00 32 00 37 00 39 00 30 00 0D 00 0A 00
 ÿ  þ  1  .  1  .  2  .  7  .  9  .  0  .  .  .  .  .

According to http://www.crispen.org/src/archive/0013.html

FF FE   UTF-16/UCS-2, big endian

So, what is going wrong? Why can't I import this very simple unicode file?
I've searched the archives and google, but to no avail.

Btw, the actual stuff I want to import is larger and more complex, this little table is to demonstrate the problem.

Help would be muchly appreciated.
Toby