RE: [HACKERS] Request for 7.0 JDBC status - Mailing list pgsql-interfaces

From Peter Mount
Subject RE: [HACKERS] Request for 7.0 JDBC status
Date
List pgsql-interfaces
As usual when replying from here, replies prefixed with PM:

--
Peter Mount
Enterprise Support

[snip]

Just to add to my earlier report, here is the kaffe 1.05 compile
failure. What strikes me as odd is that Connection.java complains
because it can't find org/postgresql/Field, but if I try to compile
Field.java complains it can't find Connection.java.

Now, having the 6.5.3 JAR file, I can compile the 6.5.3 postgresql java
driver because I have the jar file to back up the unreferenced
symbols.=20
The 7.0 driver uses org.postgresql, which is not in the 6.5.3 JAR file,
so it fails.

PM: That's odd. Perhaps kaffe lacks this ability.

The java IRC channel says kaffe isn't very good, so maybe I shouldn't be
worried about it.  They also said mutually-referencing java files are
not a good either.

PM: This is strange, because mutually referenced java files are quite
common. In fact, some of the javax.swing classes do this, and I've been
doing it since 1.0.2 :-) Anyhow, kaffe was taken over by M$ a few months
ago...

Seems I may be able to modify the import lines in the java file to use
the 6.5.3 JAR file to get enough files compiled to compile the rest,
then recompile the entire thing.

Using the jar file compiled with Sun java works fine.  I can connect to
the database and run my program.

PM: I stayed away from Kaffe because when I first started with Java, I
had so much trouble compiling examples with it, I switched to the Sun
JVM.

[snip]