Re: Option to dump foreign data in pg_dump - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Daniel Gustafsson
Subject Re: Option to dump foreign data in pg_dump
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> On 23 Mar 2020, at 21:40, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:

> I don't understand why this code specifically disallows the empty string
> as an option to --dump-foreign-data.  The other pattern-matching options
> don't do that.  This seems to have been added in response to Daniel's
> review[1], but I don't quite understand the rationale.  No other option
> behaves that way.  I'm inclined to remove that, and I have done so in
> this version.

It was a response to the discussion upthread about not allowing a blanket dump-
everything statement for foreign data, but rather require some form of opt-in.
The empty string made the code wildcard to all foreign data, which was thought
of as being a footgun for creating problematic dumps.

cheers ./daniel