Re: UNIQUE boolean: only one row may be "true" - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Randall Lucas
Subject Re: UNIQUE boolean: only one row may be "true"
Date
List pgsql-sql
Hi Michael,

Per Bruno's suggestion, I think I will go with a partial index.  But
your question brings up a good point and I am happy to hear what you
have to say on the design.

The problem being solved is essentially replicating a very limited
subset of SQL DDL to describe an external tabular dataset.  For a given
dataset (thing_group) consisting of a number of columns (thing), there
must be no more than one column which is a primary key
(is_main_thing_p).  Do you have any suggestions on how this might
better be implemented?  It seems to me that with a partial index, there
is not too much overhead and it doesn't seem too offensively
un-boycecoddean.

Best,

Randall