RE: CVS, initdb and catalog version - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Ryan C. Bonham
Subject RE: CVS, initdb and catalog version
Date
List pgsql-general
I think you just need to do a dump of the database, and then import it back
in after you update your source...  I could be wrong, i havn't had my coffee
yet...

-----Original Message-----
From: Laurent Duperval [mailto:lduperval@microcelli5.com]
Sent: Tuesday, May 15, 2001 9:40 AM
To: pgsql-general@postgresql.org
Subject: [GENERAL] CVS, initdb and catalog version

Hi,

I updated my source code from CVS and it looks like it creates a problem
because now, the server won't come up because of this error:

Starting postgresql service: + su -l postgres -c '/usr/local/bin/pg_ctl  -D
/usr/local/var/lib/pgsql/data -o -i -p /usr/local/bin/postmaster start'
postmaster successfully started
FATAL 2:  database was initialized with CATALOG_VERSION_NO 200105101,
    but the backend was compiled with CATALOG_VERSION_NO 200105145.
    looks like you need to initdb.

and then:

initdb: The directory /usr/local/var/lib/pgsql/data exists but is not empty.
If you want to create a new database system, either remove or empty
the directory /usr/local/var/lib/pgsql/data or run initdb with
an argument other than /usr/local/var/lib/pgsql/data.

So does that mean that every time I update the CVS code I have to trash
my existing data? Not that it's really a problem yet, mind you. When I
have real data that I need to keep, I'll move to 7.1.1.

Laurent Duperval <mailto:lduperval@microcelli5.com>

La situation se cornélise à vue d'oeil!
                                             -Alambic Talon