RE: RE: MS SQL 7.0 to PostgreSQL 7.1 - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Ryan C. Bonham
Subject RE: RE: MS SQL 7.0 to PostgreSQL 7.1
Date
List pgsql-general
Does anyone have a script to deal with embedded carriage returns? If not no
biggy i can create one i suppose... Just trying to save myself some time..

-----Original Message-----
From: Justin Clift [mailto:justin@postgresql.org]
Sent: Thursday, May 10, 2001 8:57 AM
To: Gordon Runkle
Cc: pgsql-general@postgresql.org
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] RE: MS SQL 7.0 to PostgreSQL 7.1

Hi all,

If someone wants to create a script and article for doing conversions
from MS SQL Server to PostgreSQL, this would be Really Beneficial.  If
it needs to be hosted somewhere, then it can be put on
techdocs.postgresql.org (or elsewhere as the author wishes, with a link
to it on techdocs).

:-)

Regards and best wishes,

Justin Clift

Gordon Runkle wrote:

> In article <08CD1781F85AD4118E0800A0C9B8580B094A74@NEZU>, "Jeff Eckermann"
> <jeckermann@verio.net> wrote:
>
> > Also:
> > *     Watch out for embedded tabs and carriage returns in your data:
these
> > will cause problems during or after your COPY into PostgreSQL. *
Check
> > the value used in the exported file to represent NULL values (could be
> > an empty string, or "NULL", or something else), and use that in your
> > COPY statement: "COPY table from stdin with null as 'whatever';"
>
> My experience is that MSSQL7 will export (bcp) NULLs
> as an ASCII zero character.  Not pretty.  You'll want
> to put together a little PERL script to fix that.
>
> Gordon.
> --
> It doesn't get any easier, you just go faster.
>    -- Greg LeMond

> TIP 4: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster

     - Indira Gandhi