Re: [HACKERS] pgsql quote bug, put in 6.5.4? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: [HACKERS] pgsql quote bug, put in 6.5.4?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> There is a bug fix in the cvs tree to a problem that prevents pgsql from
> handling single quotes in strings.  The solution is described here:
>
>  http://www.postgresql.org/mhonarc/pgsql-interfaces/1999-09/msg00154.html
>
> As a newcomer to PostgreSQL, I lost several hours to this problem - not
> good since I am trying to decide if my company should switch from
> Interbase to PostgreSQL.  I notice that the bug fix didn't make 6.5.3,
> could it be included in 6.5.4 so we don't have to keep patching our
> source?
>
> Please don't flame me too hard if I posted to the wrong group - it seems
> to me that the gurus who specify releases hang out here!

OK, fix applied to 6.5.* tree.  The fix was already applied to 7.0 tree.

We did not patch 6.5.* tree at first because even though it fixed a bug,
there was no confirmation from anyone else that that there were no
adverse side-affects.

Only very safe patches are put in 6.5.* because little testing is
performed on the minor releases.

With your confirmation, it is safe to put in 6.5.* now.

Pennsylvania19026