Re: [SQL] why don't this create table work? - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Mathijs Brands
Subject Re: [SQL] why don't this create table work?
Date
List pgsql-sql
On Tue, Nov 02, 1999 at 05:59:15PM -0500, User & allegedly wrote:

> here is the sql:
>
> nnm=> create table nnm_event_limits (
>     nnm-> nodename varchar(256) not null,
>     nnm-> event_oid  varchar(256) not null,
>     nnm-> always_never varchar(1) null,                                ^^^^^^^^^^
There is a 'not' missing...
>     nnm-> limit int4);
> ERROR:  parser: parse error at or near "null"
>
> This is converted from openviews table scheema.  here it is without the
> trailing null on always_never:
> nnm=> create table nnm_event_limits (
>     nnm-> nodename varchar(256) not null,
>     nnm-> event_oid  varchar(256) not null,
>     nnm-> always_never varchar(1) ,
>     nnm-> limit int4);
> ERROR:  parser: parse error at or near "limit"
>
> limit is not a reserved word as far as I can tell, any ideas?

Actually, it is. You can do something like the following:

select username from users limit 10;

> I am useing 6.5, got it from PG_VERSION file.

You're probably running 6.5.1 or 6.5.2. You can easily check this
by starting psql and checking the first few lines. It will tell
you the exact versionnumber.

> ps would useing text instead of varchar be a good thing to do?

That is my understanding, but I'm not completely sure.

Mathijs