Re: [HACKERS] Current source from CVS won't compile. - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Mike Mascari
Subject Re: [HACKERS] Current source from CVS won't compile.
Date
List pgsql-hackers
--- Bruce Momjian <maillist@candle.pha.pa.us> wrote:
> > Yes.
> >
> > This is my fault. Sorry.  Attached is a patch which fixes the problem.
> > I missed adding the rule to make parse.h to the Makefile for
> > the ../backend/commands. It also allows for comments to be dropped
> > using IS NULL as well as IS '';
> >

> Can we use only NULL, and not '' please?  Seems clearer.  I don't like
> us of '' for any special handling.  Thanks.
>
> --
>   Bruce Momjian                        |  http://www.op.net/~candle
>   maillist@candle.pha.pa.us            |  (610) 853-3000
>   +  Christ can be your backup.        |  Drexel Hill, Pennsylvania
> 19026

I agree with you, an empty string is a goofy way to drop a comment.
The only reason I did it that way was because that's how Oracle does
it (heck, why not create comment on, drop comment on). The question is,
what should the behavior be when a user supplies an empty string?

COMMENT ON TABLE employees IS '';

Should the above add an empty comment to pg_description?

Its up to you... :-)

Mike Mascari
(mascarim@yahoo.com)

=====