auto_increment? - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Rodrigo Bernardo Pimentel
Subject auto_increment?
Date
Re: [SQL] auto_increment?  (David Rugge <davidrugge@mindspring.com>)
List pgsql-sql
Hi.I recently had to port a script from using Postgres to MySQL. In Postgres, when I have to use a unique id, I
createa sequence

and call nextval('sequence') each time I insert a new line in the table.MySQL doesn't have sequences (as far as the
documentationshows).

So I had to look for an alternative. I found an atribute "auto_increment"
which seems pretty interesting. If I do
CREATE TABLE table (
id       int4 primary key auto_increment,
name     text,
email    text);
It automatically assigns the next value when I do
INSERT INTO table (nome, email) values ('My name', 'me@somewhere.com');
When I noticed MySQL didn't have sequences, I cursed a lot. When I
found this out, though, I kept wondering if Postgres also had it, but I
couldn't find any mention in the documentation. Does anyone know if something
similar exists? Am I doing thins the hard way? Is there any other way of
automagically getting unique ids?TIA,

    rbp

GPG KeyID: 81F85A48LinuxSP           <http://www.linuxsp.org.br>|      Fingerprint:AirGeeks
<http://www.airgeeks.org>|7E629CA2 C95B FC86 B334