Re: ORACLE COMMENT statement - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: ORACLE COMMENT statement
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> Hello Bruce,
>
> I've just submitted a patch to the patches list which
> implements Oracle's COMMENT statement. It will
> insert/update/delete the appropriate OID for the
> table or column targeted for the comment. It should
> apply cleanly against current. If it passes your
> scrutiny, I was wondering a couple of things:
>
> 1. Might it be possible for psql
>    (a.k.a Peter Eisentraut) to display the comments
>    associated with tables, views, and columns in
>    its \d output? Or perhaps another \ command?

Sure.  \dd does that already.

> 2. Should I write up SGML for it (as well as for
>    TRUNCATE TABLE)?

I did that for Truncate.  You can see it in the docs.  If you want to
write on on this, that would be good.  It seems more complex.

> 3. Should I expand it beyond ORACLE's syntax to
>    include functions, types, triggers, rules, etc.?

Sure, why not.  \dd already handles it.

> On the TODO list its listed as:
>
> Allow pg_descriptions when creating types, tables,
> columns, and functions

Yep.  Removed the 'table' entry, and marked it as done.

Pennsylvania19026