Re: [HACKERS] Re: Top N queries and disbursion - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: [HACKERS] Re: Top N queries and disbursion
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> I don't have a better idea right at the moment.  I'm open to the idea
> that VACUUM should compute more or different statistics, though ---
> as long as it doesn't slow things down too much.  (How much is too much
> would probably depend on how much win the new stats would provide for
> normal query-planning.  For example, I'd resist making two passes over
> the table during VACUUM ANALYZE, but I wouldn't rule it out completely;
> you could sell me on it if the advantages were great enough.)
>
> Hey, you guys are the researchers ... give us a better approach to
> keeping table statistics ;-)

Yes, I am open to better ideas.  The current code does 2-value columns,
and unique columns perfectly.  The other distributions it gets only
approximate answers, but for a one-pass system, that's the best I could
do.

Pennsylvania19026