Re: [GENERAL] Using Postgres with CGI's - Mailing list pgsql-general

From John Browning
Subject Re: [GENERAL] Using Postgres with CGI's
Date
List pgsql-general
> On Fri, 04 Jun 1999 23:24:12 COT, fabian baena <fabbaena@hotmail.com> said:

  > Hi,
  > I'm trying to biuld a database that I can use with a browser like netscape
  > or something like that.
  > I want to know if I can do this, and if I can, where can I get information
  > on how to do this.
  > Thank you.

In theory, AOLServer has quite good integration with database
programs, including postgres. It offers ready-made options to do the
following things from any browser

Table Maintenance

      Create at new table

      Customize Table
      Extend Table
      Drop Table
      Search a Table
      Enter Data into a Table
      Set permissions for a database table
      Get Table Schema
      Get Data
      Execute Arbitrary SQL

(In practice, I must admit that I'm having problems getting it to
work, but hopefully that's another story...)

AOLServer runs on various Unixes and is free from
http://www.aolserver.com. Next version is allegedly open source as
well.

Check out also http://6916.lcs.mit.edu/ which is MIT's course on
data-base driven Web sites and lists a lot of fun stuff you can do
with databases on the Web.

bests