IPv6 - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Jon Dugan
Subject IPv6
Date
List pgsql-general
  In the message from this list:

    http://www.postgresql.org/mhonarc/pgsql-general/1998-10/msg00062.html

  Bruce mentions:

    The new INET/MAC type in 6.4 will not have IPv6 capability, but is planned
    for 6.5.

  I've downloaded the latest snapshot of 6.5 (dated 05/28/1999), and it does
  not appear to have the IPv6 stuff defined in

    pgsql/src/include/utils/network.c

  The teaser comments are all there, but no code.  It doesn't look too
  difficult to add (aside from deciding how to get a 128 bit wide C type).
  I'd probably be willing to take a shot at it, but I wanted to see if anyone
  else was working on it.  [Of course, it may be much harder than it looks...]

  Will IPv6 make it into 6.5?

  We're moving our DNS management system from mSQL to Postgres (talk about
  going from a Yugo to a Porsche!).  During this transition we wanted to add
  IPv6 support.  We don't have any IPv6 in production yet, but we want our DNS
  management system to be ready when the time comes.  From what I gleaned from
  the discussion on the various lists it sounds like if we use the cidr and
  inet types we will be able to start using IPv6 addresses and networks when
  the supprt is rolled in to Postgres.  Is this true?  Will it require a dump
  and reload?  Are there other issues to consider?

  Thanks,

Jon
--
Jon Dugan             |  Network Engineer, NCSA Network Development
jdugan@ncsa.uiuc.edu  |  57C CAB, 605 E Springfield, Champaign, IL 61820