Re: [HACKERS] Open 6.5 items - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: [HACKERS] Open 6.5 items
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> Thus spake Bruce Momjian
> > Table with an element of type inet, will show "0.0.0.0/0" as "00/0"
>
> Is that an error?  From the discussions with Paul Vixie, I think that
> that is the correct way to output it.  Note that you can always use
> host() to get the full string for the host part at least.

Well, if you say it OK, that's good enough for me.  Item removed.  It
just looked strange, the 00/0.  Can you explain why it should look like
that.  Just curious.

> > When creating a table with either type inet or type cidr as a primary,unique
> >    key, the "198.68.123.0/24" and "198.68.123.0/27" are considered equal
>
> I guess I'll take a stab at it.  I just need to know which of the following
> is true.
>
>     198.68.123.0/24 < 198.68.123.0/27
>     198.68.123.0/24 > 198.68.123.0/27
>
> Also, is it possible that the current behaviour is what we want?  It seems
> to me that if you make a network a primary key, you probably want to prevent
> overlap.  What we have does that.

Good question.  If we decide the current behaviour is OK, that is fine
with me.  Someone know understand this just needs to say so.

> > add ability to add comments to system tables using table/colname combination
>
> Why not just add comments to pg_description?

Adding to pg_description requires table creation, then oid retrieval,
then inserts into pg_description.  At one time, I toyed with the idea of
making this more automatic, but obviously at this point,  I will just
add it into the TODO list, if is not there already.

Pennsylvania19026