Re: [HACKERS] varchar-array.patch appliedu - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Massimo Dal Zotto
Subject Re: [HACKERS] varchar-array.patch appliedu
Date
List pgsql-hackers

> > > this patch adds support for arrays of bpchar() and
> > > varchar(), which where always missing from postgres.
> > ... but I thought adding new features during
> > beta phase was frowned upon.
>
> This one is probably in a grey area, since the feature was explicitly
> disabled back in the *very* early days by Jolly, but with a comment
> from her that she wasn't sure it was necessary.
>
> If we have a hint of trouble, we can back it out. It sure would be
> nice to have Massimo also contribute a patch to the relevant
> regression tests ;)
>
>                      - Tom
>
> --
> Thomas Lockhart                lockhart@alumni.caltech.edu
> South Pasadena, California

The patch was first submitted before the beta phase but never applied.

It adds features which replace other features which were dropped in 6.3,
specifically char4 and friends with related array types. I had many tables
with _char8 and _char16 fields which I couldn't use anymore.

The new code is never executed unless you try to to define arrays of
varchar or bpchar, so it shoud be safe for existing applications.

Anyway I will try to write some regression tests.

--
Massimo Dal Zotto

|  Massimo Dal Zotto               email: dz@cs.unitn.it               |
|  Via Marconi, 141                phone: ++39-0461534251              |
|  38057 Pergine Valsugana (TN)      www: http://www.cs.unitn.it/~dz/  |
|  Italy                             pgp: finger dz@tango.cs.unitn.it  |