Re: [GENERAL] problem when vacuuming. . . - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Karl DeBisschop
Subject Re: [GENERAL] problem when vacuuming. . .
Date
List pgsql-sql
For what it's worth, my experience with this error is that your
backend crashed during the update - why it should do that on such a
small set of data, I cannot begin to guess.  But I have always found
the data to be okay, though the query executing at the time will need
to be completed.  Just drop the indexes, complete the query, and
recreate the indexes (I suggets this order for performance reasons,
unless your update depends on using the indexes to perform
efficiently).

You may also want to increase the amount of memory allocated to the
backend, both -B and -S (buffers, and sort buffers)

   From: JT Kirkpatrick <jt-kirkpatrick@mpsllc.com>
   Date: Mon, 19 Apr 1999 18:24:16 -0400
   Sender: owner-pgsql-general@postgreSQL.org

   When I vacuum I get two messages:

   NOTICE:  Index pg_class_relname_index: NUMBER OF INDEX' TUPLES (108) IS NOT
   THE SAME AS HEAP' (82)

   NOTICE:  Index pg_class_oid_index: NUMBER OF INDEX' TUPLES (108) IS NOT THE
   SAME AS HEAP' (82)

   I had followed some advice I read in one of these postgres mailing lists
   (from this weekend) regarding case problems when transferring from
   access97, and I executed both of those updates.  I can't find them now, nor
   can I remember them, but they replaced certain values in the tables
   corresponding to the indexes above with the lowercase equivalent of those
   values.  I'd like to try to reverse the effect - does anyone have a copy of
   that email from sometime this weekend?

   jt

--
Karl DeBisschop <kdebisschop@spaceheater.infoplease.com>
617.832.0332 (Fax: 617.956.2696)

Information Please - your source for FREE online reference
http://www.infoplease.com  - Your Ultimate Fact Finder
http://kids.infoplease.com - The Great Homework Helper