Re: [INTERFACES] ECPG & 'exec sql connect to' question - Mailing list pgsql-interfaces

From Michael Meskes
Subject Re: [INTERFACES] ECPG & 'exec sql connect to' question
Date
List pgsql-interfaces
On Thu, Mar 04, 1999 at 05:01:05PM +0100, Pavel PaJaSoft Janousek wrote:
> 'exec sql connect to unix:postgresql://localhost:5432/mm; '
>
>     I thought, that this example is for ECPG, but....

It is. However, the same dbname syntax applies to all programs using libpq.

> All described this I make by psql monitor... I create database 'test'. Database 'test' is created by unix user 'paja'
('paja'is postgres user too). I create new postgres user 'petr' with password 'petr'. As 'paja', I connect to database
'test'and create table 'pom' with some cols, then execute this: 'grant insert on pom to petr;'. All is OK, but now, I
wantconnect to database 'test' by user 'petr'... of course, I cant' use simple command:
> 'exec sql connect 'test';', because I want have only rights as user 'petr' (only inserting rows).
>     My problem is, that I don't know, how I can connect to database (on
>     local system or remote...) with specifiing user and his password. I
>     know, that I can use libpq directly, but I want do this by ECPG, not
>     by using the PostgreSQL C library.

> PS: A wrote this question in november 1998, but I didn't got some answer.
> Of course, I specify my question rather diferent...

Seems I missed it. Sorry.

Michael

Email: Michael.Meskes@gmx.net          | Use PostgreSQL!