ECPG & 'exec sql connect to' question - Mailing list pgsql-interfaces

From Pavel PaJaSoft Janousek
Subject ECPG & 'exec sql connect to' question
Date
Re: [INTERFACES] ECPG & 'exec sql connect to' question  (Michael Meskes <michael_meskes@topmail.de>)
Odd program behaviour  (James Thompson <jamest@math.ksu.edu>)
List pgsql-interfaces
Hi all,

    I've one big problem. Last month I saw in this mailing-list one example, where was this line:

'exec sql connect to unix:postgresql://localhost:5432/mm; '

    I thought, that this example is for ECPG, but....

    I'm using PostgreSQL 6.4.2 - ECPG is from this release (without other patches, which are distributed in this
mailing-list).I try compile my program, but I got always the same error: <source>:<line>: parse error at or near
'postgresql'.

    So, I write small example:

All described this I make by psql monitor... I create database 'test'. Database 'test' is created by unix user 'paja'
('paja'is postgres user too). I create new postgres user 'petr' with password 'petr'. As 'paja', I connect to database
'test'and create table 'pom' with some cols, then execute this: 'grant insert on pom to petr;'. All is OK, but now, I
wantconnect to database 'test' by user 'petr'... of course, I cant' use simple command:
'exec sql connect 'test';', because I want have only rights as user 'petr' (only inserting rows).
    My problem is, that I don't know, how I can connect to database (on local system or remote...) with specifiing user
andhis password.
    I know, that I can use libpq directly, but I want do this by ECPG, not by using the PostgreSQL C library.

    Thank you for any ideas....

Pavel PaJaSoft Janousek
FoNet, spol. s r.o.

PS: A wrote this question in november 1998, but I didn't got some answer. Of course, I specify my question rather
diferent...