Re: [SQL] connection timeout? - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Sascha Schumann
Subject Re: [SQL] connection timeout?
Date
List pgsql-sql
On Fri, Feb 12, 1999 at 06:03:42PM -0700, pierre@desertmoon.com wrote:
> All,
>

>     Is there a connection timeout on the client code? That is if I were
>     to leave the client running but idle for a period of time I'd like
>     the client to time out and quit....is there anything like that
>     in PostgreSQL, can it be added?
>
>     -=pierre

I've employed the following method in one program (it's a CGI which may stay
longer around without using the database connection):

-----
PGconn *conn;

void sig_alrm(int nr)
{
    signal(SIGALRM, SIG_DEF);
    if(conn)
        PQfinish(conn);
    conn = NULL;
}

void use_pgsql(void)
{
    if(!conn) {
        conn = PQconnectdb(...);
        signal(SIGALRM, sig_alrm);
    }
    alarm(60);
}
-----

Before you use any database action now, you call use_pgsql() which will start
the counter and set up the connection.

--

          Regards,

                            Sascha Schumann |