Re: [SQL] Beginner question - select with multiple tables - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Dave Inskeep
Subject Re: [SQL] Beginner question - select with multiple tables
Date
List pgsql-sql
Herouth,

Sorry if I was unclear; I think you missed my point. Of the four bodx
tables, only one contains the text 'brake' in the bodx field. There
are four instances in the vallbod1 table that contain brake.
vall_bod2, 3, and 4 do not have any records that contain 'brake' in
the bod2, bod3, or bod4 fields, respectively.

I expect the query to return the node field from the four records in
vall_bod1 that contain 'brake'. If I query over vall and vall_bod1
alone, I get the four records. If I query over vall, vall_bod1, and
vall_bod2, I get different results depending if vall_bod2 contains ANY
records, matching or not. If vall_bod2 has no records, the query
returns no records, period. If vall_bod2 contains even a single record
that does not match the query, the four expected records in vall_bod1
are returned.

My point is that the query produces different results if any of the
tables in the query contain no records. Since I'm using an OR between
the tables in my where clause, I find this strange.