performance test - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Michael Meskes
Subject performance test
Date
List pgsql-hackers
I tried inserting 15000 tuples each in two tables via pgsql and timed it.
After insertion I also created btree indeces on both tables.

Some results:

First try was with a 6.4.1 version without -F option and all inserts in one
transaction:
real    2m11.084s
user    0m1.760s
sys     0m1.680s

Then I switched to 6.5 without -F:
real    2m35.833s
user    0m2.900s
sys     0m3.910s

So some of the latest changes cost quite a lot of time. On the other hand I
was surprised to see that the size of the table file decreased by about 10%
when switching to 6.5.

Then I switched on -F:
real    1m11.573s
user    0m3.150s
sys     0m3.760s

I've seen even bigger advantages of -F.

For comparison I tried without BEGIN/END:
real    1m12.463s
user    0m3.030s
sys     0m4.480s

So, yes it is slower than just one transaction, but not very much.

Finally I tried the same script (except for changing int4 to number(4)) on
Oracle 8.0.5:
real    1m29.248s
user    0m24.460s
sys     0m4.880s

I got similar results when I tried the last time. On stuff like insertions
we are quite a lot faster than Oracle if we use -F.

All test were run on my AMD K6/350 with 64MB ram running Linux-2.2.0-pre7.

michael

Email: Michael.Meskes@gmx.net          | Use PostgreSQL!