Updating database - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Barracuda
Subject Updating database
Date
List pgsql-sql
Please help:)

We have a knowledge base that needs updated every night from a large
text file.  Currently a script deletes everything from a table and
adds the new data.  This procedure seems to slowly cause the database
to loose performance daily.  It also leaves our database useless for
several hours starting at midnight.  I thought about using 2
databases, updating one while using the other, then swapping them
every day.  I also thought about having one db.out, then the other in.

Is there a better way to do this?

Thanks in advance.

Charles Day