Re: [HACKERS] Core dump in regression tests. - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Keith Parks
Subject Re: [HACKERS] Core dump in regression tests.
Date
Re: [HACKERS] Core dump in regression tests.  (Bruce Momjian <maillist@candle.pha.pa.us>)
List pgsql-hackers
Thomas G. Lockhart <lockhart@alumni.caltech.edu>
> Bruce Momjian <maillist@candle.pha.pa.us>
> > Can we try a simple -O rather than just -O2 and -O0.  Could this be
> > some type of optimizer bug in gcc2/Solaris?
> > Everything is pointing to indexing.c, from both the initdb failure and
> > the create function failure.  But I can't see anything wrong in there,
> > and other platforms seem to be OK.

Compiled with -O the results are the same as with -O2. (-O is the same as -O1)

According to the gcc man -O0 turns off all optimisation.

> Uh, no, Linux/i686 is showing trouble too, but not in the initdb stage.
> The Sparc platforms will be more sensitive to byte alignment problems,
> especially within C structures, so this may be illustrating a
> cross-platform problem more clearly.
>
> There is a repeatable indexing and (perhaps) caching problem I see in
> the regression tests. Annoyingly, the problems get slightly worse at the
> moment when compiling with -O0.
>
> There is a fundamental problem lurking somewhere, and there may not be
> much point in going beta unless you think that more testers will help to
> track down the problem.

It's unfortunate that the person who has the best chance of tracking
down the bug(s), Bruce, is not seeing any of the problems :-(

I'm afraid I'm not going to be much help this week as the shift
I'm on leaves me little time to play with the workstation at home.

I'll be able to do test compiles but not much debugging.

Keith.