Re: [DOCS] Re: [GENERAL] Re: [HACKERS] [Fwd: SGVLLUG Oracle and Informix on Linux] - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: [DOCS] Re: [GENERAL] Re: [HACKERS] [Fwd: SGVLLUG Oracle and Informix on Linux]
Date
List pgsql-general

> > >        Let's remove the "I don't want to think" utilities like
> > >{create,destroy}{db,user} and force DBA's to actually use the *proper*
> > >functions.
>
> > While the man pages indicate that these invoke psql, and that a postmaster
> > must be running, and somebody really smart could infer that that means that
> > there is SQL to do the action, it would be much, much better if the man
> > pages explicitly stated that it was merely a shortcut to using the sql.
>
> I think only doing it the SQL way would be fine. Documentation would, of
> course, have to cover it. I want, no need, to know what functionality
> belongs to SQL and what belongs to PostgreSQL. I've certainly not got any
> qualms about dropping into psql to do things. I like psql.

They have to connect to template1 to do the work.  Currently, they don't
need to know template1 even exists, so it seems like an added burden.  I
will add a mention to the createdb, destroydb man pages.  createuser
does psql too.