Re: [GENERAL] Re: [HACKERS] [Fwd: SGVLLUG Oracle and Informix on Linux] - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Bruce Tong
Subject Re: [GENERAL] Re: [HACKERS] [Fwd: SGVLLUG Oracle and Informix on Linux]
Date
Re: [GENERAL] Re: [HACKERS] [Fwd: SGVLLUG Oracle and Informix on Linux]  (Chris Johnson <cmj@inline-design.com>)
List pgsql-general
> >> In fact, they are handled by SQL: CREATE DATABASE and DROP DATABASE. The
> >> createdb and destroydb tools just call these SQL statements....

> >        Let's remove the "I don't want to think" utilities like
> >{create,destroy}{db,user} and force DBA's to actually use the *proper*
> >functions.

> While the man pages indicate that these invoke psql, and that a postmaster
> must be running, and somebody really smart could infer that that means that
> there is SQL to do the action, it would be much, much better if the man
> pages explicitly stated that it was merely a shortcut to using the sql.

I think only doing it the SQL way would be fine. Documentation would, of
course, have to cover it. I want, no need, to know what functionality
belongs to SQL and what belongs to PostgreSQL. I've certainly not got any
qualms about dropping into psql to do things. I like psql.

Bruce Tong                 |  Got me an office; I'm there late at night.
Systems Programmer         |  Just send me e-mail, maybe I'll write.
Electronic Vision / FITNE  |
zztong@laxmi.ev.net        |  -- Joe Walsh for the 21st Century