Re: [HACKERS] Problem after removal of exec(), help - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: [HACKERS] Problem after removal of exec(), help
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> Bruce,
> I have not look into it the specifics yet,
> but I suggest looking into what is done when
> the child process exits.
> This (the pg_exit() et al.) caused some bugs
> when we introduced unix domain sockets and
> it is not the first place one looks. :-(

Are you suggesting that because one of the backends did not exit
cleanly, that there is some problem?

Because the postmaster is resetting all shared memory at that point, I
am not sure that is the area.  I have been thinking about it, and my
guess is that one of the initialization functions (lock?) just appends
to the lock queue on restart, instead of clearing it first, and a
backend that does exec() starts out with clean global variables, which
they now do not.