Re: [HACKERS] removal of braces - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: [HACKERS] removal of braces
Date
List pgsql-hackers

> Bruce Momjian <maillist@candle.pha.pa.us> writes:
> > I am sure there were some bugs fixed by this cleanup.
>
> And some introduced, most likely.  Just how much does your script know
> about C syntax, macros, etc?

I have posted the patch to the list.

> I concur with David Gould that this is a risky, expensive exercise
> with very little potential gain.
>
> If you were able to identify any spots with the sort of macro-induced
> bug you illustrated, great!  Fix 'em by hand.  But I doubt that a
> 12000-line wholesale modification is worth the trouble.  Heck, half
> the code I've looked at in pgsql doesn't even conform to indentation/
> tab-width conventions ... and *those* we have well-tested tools to fix.

That is more work than fixing all the macros.  I think 98% should be
properly formatted for 4-space tabs.  I run pgindent just before every
beta period, and have added the brace removal code to pgindent.

I got tired of removing them as I saw them.  Now, we have a standard.