Re: [HACKERS] Linux/Alpha and pgsql.... - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: [HACKERS] Linux/Alpha and pgsql....
Date
List pgsql-hackers
>     Ok, I grabbed the latest snapshot, April 11, 7am. The changes in
> templates/linuxalpha do fix some of the problems, and make fixing the rest
> easier. As it was "out-of-the-box", it (nearly) compiled and ran initdb
> sucessfully on my UDB. But there was quite a few failures and coredumps by
> postgres upon the running of regression tests.

OK, this is good.  Now my only issue is that is seems the 'alpha' define
it now too broad.  We are using 'alpha' to fix alpha issues, and to fix
'dec alpha' issues.  Is that true?

If it is, can we have the DEC alpha port define 'alpha' and 'decalpha'
and change the 'decalpha'-specific defines to use 'decalpha', the
linuxalpha defines to use 'linuxalpha', and the purely 'alpha'-specific
changes to use just normal 'alpha'.

I am requesting this because 'alpha' has been such a problem port for
us, and would like to have things REALLY clear now that we understand
them, so later, they will not get broken.

Can you review all the 'alpha' defines, and send us a patch that adds
'decalpha' define to the non-linux alpha port, and change the other
'ifdef's appropriately to everything works and is clean?

Release of 6.3.2 is due April 15th.  Hope that gives you enough time.
We hopefully can get a dec alpha person to test the changes you make, so
alpha works properly for 6.3.2.