Re: [HACKERS] reverse file descriptor to a file name... - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: [HACKERS] reverse file descriptor to a file name...
Date
Re: [HACKERS] reverse file descriptor to a file name...
List pgsql-hackers

>     Oops...I must be using that wrong...I'm getting:
>
> NOTICE:  Message from PostgreSQL backend: The Postmaster has informed me
>      that some other backend died abnormally and possibly corrupted
>      shared memory.  I have rolled back the current transaction and am
>      going to terminate your database system connection and exit.
>      Please reconnect to the database system and repeat your query.
>

>     relname is of type NameData ... NameData is a struct, so shouldn't
> it be:
>
>     Relation->rd_rel->relname->data
>
>     But, NameData only has one component, data...why make it a struct?

Yep, you are right.  They make is a struct so they can pass it around
by-value, rather than the normal pointer by-reference for normal arrays.

Perhaps I should do a layout for the PostgreSQL data structures as I
have done a flowchart for the backend program files.