Re: [HACKERS] Problem with the numbers I reported yesterday - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: [HACKERS] Problem with the numbers I reported yesterday
Date
List pgsql-hackers

> I ran my performance tests some more times and it seems the numbers are not
> really comparable. When I run PostgreSQL without -F I get a sync after every
> insert. With -F I get no sync at all as all inserts fit well into the
> buffer. However, Oracle in comparison does sync. Simply hearing the disk
> access it seems as if they sync every two or three seconds.
>
> Does anyone know a way to really check both DBMSs?

Many dbms's do buffered logging, that is they sync after the buffer gets
full or after a minute or so.  We have the logic to add buffered logging
to PostgreSQL and will be doing it later.  Right now, we only have
non-buffered logging, and no logging.

--
Bruce Momjian
maillist@candle.pha.pa.us