Re: pg_dump problems in upgrading - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: pg_dump problems in upgrading
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Awhile back, Oliver Elphick <olly@lfix.co.uk> wrote:
> I am trying to populate a 7.3 database from a 7.2 dump.  I used 7.3's
> pg_dumpall, but this did not handle all the issues:

> 1. The language dumping needs to be improved:

This is now fixed.

> 2.  Either casts or extra default conversions may be needed:

This too --- at least in the example you give.

> 3. A view is being created before one of the tables it refers to.

On thinking about it, I'm having a hard time seeing how that case could
arise, unless the source database was old enough to have wrapped around
its OID counter.  I'd be interested to see the details of your case.
While the only long-term solution is proper dependency tracking in
pg_dump, there might be some shorter-term hack that we should apply...