Re: pg_dump problems in upgrading - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Oliver Elphick
Subject Re: pg_dump problems in upgrading
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Sat, 2002-09-21 at 19:49, Tom Lane wrote:
> > 3. A view is being created before one of the tables it refers to.
>
> On thinking about it, I'm having a hard time seeing how that case could
> arise, unless the source database was old enough to have wrapped around
> its OID counter.  I'd be interested to see the details of your case.
> While the only long-term solution is proper dependency tracking in
> pg_dump, there might be some shorter-term hack that we should apply...

While I don't think that the oids have wrapped round, the oid of the
table in question is larger than the oid of the view.  It is quite
likely that the table was dropped and recreated after the view was
created.

In fact, the view no longer works: ERROR:  Relation "sales_forecast" with OID 26246751 no longer exists
so that must be what happened.
Isle of Wight, UK
http://www.lfix.co.uk/oliver
========================================   "Charge them that are rich in this world, that they not     be highminded
nortrust in uncertain riches, but in      the living God, who giveth us richly all things to      enjoy; That they do
good,that they be rich in good      works, ready to distribute, willing to communicate;      Laying up in store for
themselvesa good foundation      against the time to come, that they may lay hold on      eternal life."          I
Timothy6:17-19