Re: yum repository packages 9.0 and 9.1 libpq conflict - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: yum repository packages 9.0 and 9.1 libpq conflict
Date
List pgsql-general
John R Pierce <pierce@hogranch.com> writes:
> CONFIGURE = '--disable-rpath' '--prefix=/usr/pgsql-9.1' .....
> muh oh.   why is that?!?

It's distro policy on all Red Hat-based systems (and probably others as
well) not to use rpath; you're supposed to use ldconfig instead.  It's
thus totally unsurprising that removing a package's /etc/ld.so.conf.d
file breaks it.

However, it's not clear to me that this policy can support multiple
packages expecting to install different libraries with the same soname
and major version.  I'm not enough of a packaging weenie to know if
there's a standard workaround for that.  Devrim might have to resort to
something like shipping the latest (9.1.x) version of libpq.so in all of
his packages.

            regards, tom lane