Re: yum repository packages 9.0 and 9.1 libpq conflict - Mailing list pgsql-general

From John R Pierce
Subject Re: yum repository packages 9.0 and 9.1 libpq conflict
Date
List pgsql-general
On 03/15/12 7:27 AM, Tom Lane wrote:
> It's distro policy on all Red Hat-based systems (and probably others as
> well) not to use rpath; you're supposed to use ldconfig instead.  It's
> thus totally unsurprising that removing a package's /etc/ld.so.conf.d
> file breaks it.

ouch.  I didn't realize that.  -1 to RH for that policy.   -rpath is
*EXACTLY* the right solution for this sort of problem, I've always
*HATED* stuff that relies on ld.so or equivalent, or even worse,
LD_LIBRARY_PATH ....   sigh.

> However, it's not clear to me that this policy can support multiple
> packages expecting to install different libraries with the same soname
> and major version.  I'm not enough of a packaging weenie to know if
> there's a standard workaround for that.  Devrim might have to resort to
> something like shipping the latest (9.1.x) version of libpq.so in all of
> his packages.

maybe the postgresql91-libs should supercede the ld.so.conf.d file from
previous versions so there would be only one such .conf file, pointing
everyone at the latest installed version.    otoh, if you removed 9.1, I
don't know how that would be able to put a previous version back, ugh.