Re: Open 7.3 issues - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Open 7.3 issues
Date
Re: Open 7.3 issues  (Bruce Momjian <pgman@candle.pha.pa.us>)
List pgsql-hackers
> What about this.
> 1. Implement pg_get_foreignkey_def() or whatever
> 2. Adjust pg_dump to dump foreign keys using an ALTER statement
> 3. Back port the above to rel 7_2_2
> 4. Release a 7.2.2 version and ask that people upgrade to that version and
> do a dump before they upgrade to 7.3.

The trouble with this is that 7.2.2 would include a lot of rather poorly
tested code (code that has not even made it to CVS yet) ... and if
there's a problem in that code, it breaks dump files whether you are an
early upgrader to 7.3 or not.

I think that's likely to be a hard sell.  The most we are likely to get
is to ask people to use the 7.3 pg_dump to dump their 7.2 server when
they are about to upgrade to 7.3 --- even that much is a difficult trick
for RPM users.

The other problem is that given a 7.2 system catalog setup, it's not
really any easier to reconstruct "this is a foreign key" on the server
side than it is to do it on the pg_dump side.  So if we can figure out
how to do it at all, we might as well make pg_dump do the work instead
of insisting on a server update.