Re: Open 7.3 issues - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Lamar Owen
Subject Re: Open 7.3 issues
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Thursday 15 August 2002 12:28 am, Tom Lane wrote:
> I think that's likely to be a hard sell.  The most we are likely to get
> is to ask people to use the 7.3 pg_dump to dump their 7.2 server when
> they are about to upgrade to 7.3 --- even that much is a difficult trick
> for RPM users.

It's more of a difficult trick for the RPM maintainer.... :-)

No, I've thought about this possibility, and I can see packaging a
'postgresql-pg_dump73-7.2.1' RPM consisting entirely of the 7.3 pg_dump
linked against the pieces of 7.2.1 necessary.  Ugly, but doable.

I know I sound like a broken record (for those who remember vinyl records),
but good upgrading tools would eliminate this recurring problem.  That's all
I'm saying about that this time -- I've said enough, and it's all archived
for those who care to know what I think about the state of upgrading.
--
Lamar Owen
WGCR Internet Radio