Re: reducing the footprint of ScanKeyword (was Re: Large writable variables) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: reducing the footprint of ScanKeyword (was Re: Large writable variables)
Date
List pgsql-hackers
John Naylor <john.naylor@2ndquadrant.com> writes:
> On Wed, Jan 9, 2019 at 2:44 PM Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> [patch to shrink oid index]

> It would help maintaining its newfound sveltness if we warned if a
> higher oid was assigned, as in the attached. I used 6200 as a soft
> limit, but that could be anything similiar.

I think the reason we have this issue is that people tend to use
high OIDs during development of a patch, so that their elbows won't
be joggled by unrelated changes.  Then sometimes they forget to
renumber them down before committing.  A warning like this would
lead to lots of noise during the development stage, which nobody
would thank us for.  If we could find a way to notice this only
when we were about to commit, it'd be good .. but I don't have an
idea about a nice way to do that.  (No, I don't want a commit hook
on gitmaster; that's warning too late, which is not better.)