Re: New feature request: FlashBack Query - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: New feature request: FlashBack Query
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> RPK wrote:
>> Future versions of PostgreSQL must have similar features which enable users
>> to bring Table(s) and/or Database(s) to a desired Time Stamp.

> We can do it with databases, we can't do it with tables. Nor should we
> do it with tables as it would require that all tables in relation are
> also flashed backed.

AFAICT this is a request to re-instate Time Travel, which is a feature
we removed more than ten years ago because the overhead was utterly
unacceptable.  And the project's idea of acceptable performance then
was orders of magnitude weaker than it is now.  So it's not going to
happen, at least not in the general release.  You might take a look at
contrib/spi/README.timetravel, though, for a prototype of how something
similar can be achieved without any changes to the core system.  That
module is a bit unmaintained and could doubtless do with some updates
--- for starters, it should be using timestamptz instead of the old
deprecated abstime.  If you're interested, feel free to work on it.
No one else has taken an interest in a long time.