Re: SET TRANSACTION and SQL Standard - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: SET TRANSACTION and SQL Standard
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> I think this might be best solved by providing a common function that
> checks a DefElem list for duplicates.  This could be used in a number of
> other places as well (grep for "conflicting or redundant options").

It's not clear what that would save exactly.  The common coding pattern
intermixes this test with collection of the individual values for
subsequent processing, and you'd still have to do the latter.  It also
seems likely that a generic check of this form would be O(N^2) replacing
code that is currently O(N).  (I grant that N is usually too small for
it to matter ... but I'm not sure that's always true.)