Re: pg_restore and create FK without verification check - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: pg_restore and create FK without verification check
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Kevin Brown <kevin@sysexperts.com> writes:
> Tom Lane wrote:
>> You don't.  As I said, any physical backup is going to be
>> all-or-nothing.  These techniques are not a replacement for pg_dump.

> But this is just an artifact of the fact that the WAL is a single
> instance-wide entity, rather than a per-database entity.  But since
> databases are completely separate entities that cannot be simultaneously
> accessed by any query (corrections welcome), there isn't any reason in
> principle that the WAL files cannot also be created on a per-database
> basis.

WAL is not the bottleneck ... as I already mentioned today, pg_clog (and
more specifically the meaning of transaction IDs) is what really makes a
cluster an indivisible whole at the physical level.

If you want to do separate physical dumps/restores, the answer is to set
up separate clusters (separate postmasters).  Not so hard, is it?