Re: Bug tracker tool we need - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Bug tracker tool we need
Date
Re: Bug tracker tool we need  (Brendan Jurd <direvus@gmail.com>)
Re: Bug tracker tool we need  (Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net>)
List pgsql-hackers
Greg Smith <greg@2ndQuadrant.com> writes:
> Rather than talk about adopting one of the available torture devices,
> I'd happily consider the simplest thing possible that would be useful
> here instead.  Here's my proposed tiny tracker:

Wasn't Jay just muttering about "writing your own bug tracker" being an
anti-pattern?  But still, there's something in what you say, because ...

> -Make commits that fix a bug reference it in one of the standard ways
> that's done by every one of these bug trackers.  Just throw "Fixes
> #6596" into the commit message.  These will probably work if a more
> serious tool is adopted, too.

... I think you'll find a lot of that data could be mined out of our
historical commit logs already.  I know I make a practice of mentioning
"bug #NNNN" whenever there is a relevant bug number, and I think other
committers do too.  It wouldn't be 100% coverage, but still, if we could
bootstrap the tracker with a few hundred old bugs, we might have
something that was immediately useful, instead of starting from scratch
and hoping it would eventually contain enough data to be useful.

At the same time, I think we'd likely be a lot better off squirting this
data into bugzilla or another standard tracker, instead of building our
own infrastructure.