Re: Corrupt indices on already-dropped table (could not open relation with OID ...) - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Corrupt indices on already-dropped table (could not open relation with OID ...)
Date
List pgsql-general
Craig de Stigter <craig.destigter@koordinates.com> writes:
> Somehow we've ended up with a few corrupt indices in our database.

What PG version is this exactly?  Do you have any idea how you got into
this state?  (Database crashes, system crashes, whatever?)  We've seen
a few similar reports before, but never with enough clarity to identify
the bug, if it is a bug.

> I'm a bit hesitant to try the fix mentioned at the following URL since it
> involves deleting things from system tables:
> http://javadave.blogspot.com/2005/06/could-not-open-relation-in-postgresql.html

It'd be safer to dump and reload the database.  However, given that you
already removed the underlying table, I don't see a reason to be
terribly concerned about the consistency of the entries about this