Re: [DOCS] release date formatting - Mailing list pgsql-docs

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: [DOCS] release date formatting
Date
List pgsql-docs
> On Tue, May  2, 2017 at 12:35:06PM -0400, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
>> It has been pointed out a while ago that the "release date" formatting
>> in the release notes is too flamboyant, more so under the new stylesheets.
>>
>> Here is a patch to make the formatting a bit more subdued.  (Obviously,
>> this needs to be expanded to older release notes as well.)

> I see what you mean.  I have changed the markup in head for all branches
> and backpatched this so when we copy release information to back
> branches, it matches.

I'm a bit dubious about this: it may make things look nicer with the new
docs toolchain, but did anyone check what it looks like with the old one?

Also, now that you mention it, the ability to copy relnote files into
older branches verbatim was already broken by commit 85c11324c.  I got
burnt by this while making the release notes last weekend, and was quite
annoyed but there was no time to do anything about it then.  Is there
a way to fix that, perhaps by providing some kind of alias for the
relevant section IDs?

Hm, actually, renaming those section IDs broke more than ease of
maintenance of the relnotes: the website no longer realizes that
https://www.postgresql.org/docs/devel/static/pgwaldump.html
has any connection to
https://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.5/static/pgxlogdump.html
although ideally the former would be seen as the latest version
of the latter.  So that might provide more motivation to think
of a smarter answer here.

            regards, tom lane