Re: [DOCS] release date formatting - Mailing list pgsql-docs

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: [DOCS] release date formatting
Date
List pgsql-docs
On Fri, May 12, 2017 at 07:42:27PM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> > On Tue, May  2, 2017 at 12:35:06PM -0400, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> >> It has been pointed out a while ago that the "release date" formatting
> >> in the release notes is too flamboyant, more so under the new stylesheets.
> >>
> >> Here is a patch to make the formatting a bit more subdued.  (Obviously,
> >> this needs to be expanded to older release notes as well.)
>
> > I see what you mean.  I have changed the markup in head for all branches
> > and backpatched this so when we copy release information to back
> > branches, it matches.
>
> I'm a bit dubious about this: it may make things look nicer with the new
> docs toolchain, but did anyone check what it looks like with the old one?

I did not but the <note> tag really never made sense for the release
note date anyway, so I assumed it would be fine.

> Also, now that you mention it, the ability to copy relnote files into
> older branches verbatim was already broken by commit 85c11324c.  I got
> burnt by this while making the release notes last weekend, and was quite
> annoyed but there was no time to do anything about it then.  Is there
> a way to fix that, perhaps by providing some kind of alias for the
> relevant section IDs?

Yes, I noticed that myself so I assume we would have to copy just the
new _sections_ to the back branches, instead of copying the entire file
like we have done in the past, at least until this was fixed.