Re: proposal: add columns created and altered to pg_proc and pg_class - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: proposal: add columns created and altered to pg_proc and pg_class
Date
Re: proposal: add columns created and altered to pg_proc and pg_class  ("Kevin Grittner" <Kevin.Grittner@wicourts.gov>)
Re: proposal: add columns created and altered to pg_proc and pg_class  (Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com>)
Re: proposal: add columns created and altered to pg_proc and pg_class  (Jaime Casanova <jcasanov@systemguards.com.ec>)
Re: proposal: add columns created and altered to pg_proc and pg_class  (Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us>)
List pgsql-hackers
> this my proposal is very simple. It help to people who have to manage
> large or complex database system. Important data are date of creating
> and date of altering tables and stored procedures. These data cannot
> be modified by user, so implementation doesn't need any new
> statements.

ISTM anyone who thinks they need this actually need a full DDL log;
or at least, if we give them this, they will be back next week asking
for a full log.  So it'd save a lot of work to tell them to just log
their DDL to start with.

Some obvious objections to the simple approach:
- what if I want to know *who* made the change
- what if I need to know about the change before last
- what if I need to know about a DROP
- what if I need to know about operators, operator classes, schemas, etc etc