Re: psql \l error - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: psql \l error
Date
List pgsql-hackers
"Hiroshi Inoue" <Inoue@tpf.co.jp> writes:
> Yes,but shouldn't there be some guidelines around here ?
> For example,maybe
>  The latest version of libpq should be able to replace older version
>  of libpq without re-compilation and be able to talk to all backends
>  after 6.4.

As indeed it can...

It could be that we should have invested additional effort to make psql
able to execute all functions against both old and new backends, but
it seems to me that we had more important work to do.  There was
relatively little complaint about the fact that 6.4 psql (and all other
6.4 libpq-based applications) were not able to talk *at all* to pre-6.4
backends, so I'm surprised that we're discussing whether it's acceptable
that a few noncritical functions aren't cross-version compatible this
time around.

It's also worth noting that this is a major release --- it's not
entirely meaningless that we called it 7.0 and not 6.6.  We were willing
to break compatibility in more places than we would normally do, because
there were things that just had to be changed.  In the real world
I suspect that the datetime-related changes are going to cause far more
headaches for most users than the system catalog changes... but
sometimes progress has a price.

All just MHO, of course.