Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Temporarily (I hope) disable flattening of IN/EXISTS sublinks - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Temporarily (I hope) disable flattening of IN/EXISTS sublinks
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> Tom, you mentioned this should be a TODO item.  Do we put it on our main
> TODO, and if so, in what section?

Optimizer/executor I guess.  It's a pretty vague TODO though.  We need
some way to consider alternative join orders for joins that do not
semantically commute.  When I wrote that CVS log entry I was thinking
in terms of fixing the executor so that the joins actually could
commute, which would involve some way of separating the
force-vars-to-null behavior of an outer join from the actual execution
of the join.  I don't know how practical that really is though (and
also I've got a feeling it likely would fall foul of some patent or
other).  Or maybe it could be solved entirely in the planner, but I
don't have an idea of what the planner's internal representation would
have to look like to do that.