Re: problem with escaping " - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: problem with escaping "
Date
List pgsql-general
Andrei Ivanov <andrei.ivanov@ines.ro> writes:
> If I try to insert some text with " inside, I try to escape it with a \
> INSERT INTO pp VALUES ('(1, "aa \" bb", "fghij")')
> But I get an error:
> Bad movie_property external representation '(1, "aa " bb", "fghij")'
> which means that my movie_property_in function receives the string
> '(1, "aa " bb", "fghij")', without the \ in it.

Yup.  The backslash will be eaten by the string-literal parser.

> The same exact thing works for varchar or text fields.

No it doesn't.  Observe:

regression=# select  ('(1, "aa \" bb", "fghij")')::text;
          text
 (1, "aa " bb", "fghij")
(1 row)

You'll need to double the backslash if you want the type's I/O function
to see it.  Compare for example the discussion of array quoting at the
bottom of this page:
http://www.ca.postgresql.org/users-lounge/docs/7.2/postgres/arrays.html

            regards, tom lane